1. Which of the following is not a standard for cordless telephony?
Explanation: CT-2 is a cordless telephone standard used in Europe and Asia. DECT and PHS (Personal Handyphone System) are cordless telephone standards used in Europe and Japan respectively. UMTS is a cellular system standard.
2. Which of the following is a fully digital cordless system?
Explanation: Digital enhanced cordless telecommunication (DECT) is a fully digital system established in 1991. CT0, CT1, CT1+ were analog systems established in 1980, 1984 and 1987 respectively.
3. What is the range of cell diameter of DECT?
a) 10 km
b) 300 m
c) 70 km
d) 2 km
Explanation: DECT has the cell diameter of 300 m from the base station.
4. Which of the following is not the property of paging system?
a) Wide area coverage
b) Asymmetric communication
c) High cost
d) Light weight
Explanation: One of the main reasons for the increased users of paging system was its less cost. But as the prices of cellular system declined, the users of paging system also decreased.
5. Which of the following is a protocol used for cordless telephone system?
Explanation: PACS (Personal Access Communication System) is a protocol used for cordless telephone system. ERMES and FLEX are used by paging system. And IS-95 is used for cellular system.
6. Cordless telephone system will not work under which of the following criteria?
a) Within campus
b) Within a home
c) Within a building
d) Within a city
Explanation: Cordless telephones are used in homes, in offices, on campus, at trade shows. But due to their limited coverage they cannot cover a whole city.
7. Which of the following is the drawback for cordless telephones?
a) Limited coverage area
d) Wireless technology
Explanation: Cordless telephone systems are wireless, but they have a disadvantage of limited coverage area with cell size of approx. 300 m. Being digital, they have very less chance of eaves dropping.
8. Which of the following is not an application of DECT?
a) Home cordless phones
b) Multimedia processing
c) Cordless private branch exchange
d) Wireless local loop
Explanation: Users in a neighborhood served by a telephone company wired local loop can be connected by a cordless phone that exchanges signals with a neighborhood antenna.
9. In which frequency range do the cordless phones mostly work?
a) 43-50 MHz
b) 88-108 MHz
c) 200-540 KHz
d) 540-1600 KHz
Explanation: Cordless phones mostly operate in the frequency range of 43-50 MHz. The frequency range of FM is 88-108 MHz and for AM is 540-1600 KHz.
10. Which of the following standard of cordless telephone system is also approved as a 3G standard?
Explanation: DECT fulfills the IMT 2000 requirements and is approved as a 3G standard by ITU.