1. A man walks 5 km toward south and then turns to the right. After walking 3 km he turns to the left and walks 5 km. Now in which direction is he from the starting place?
Hence required direction is South-West.
2. Rahul put his timepiece on the table in such a way that at 6 P.M. hour hand points to North. In which direction the minute hand will point at 9.15 P.M. ?
At 9.15 P.M., the minute hand will point towards west.
3. Rasik walked 20 m towards north. Then he turned right and walks 30 m. Then he turns right and walks 35 m. Then he turns left and walks 15 m. Finally he turns left and walks 15 m. In which direction and how many metres is he from the starting position?
a) 15 m West
b) 30 m East
c) 30 m West
d) 45 m East
= 30 + 15
= 45 m
From the above diagram, F is in East direction from A.
Hence the required answer is '45 m East'.
4. Two cars start from the opposite places of a main road, 150 km apart. First car runs for 25 km and takes a right turn and then runs 15 km. It then turns left and then runs for another 25 km and then takes the direction back to reach the main road. In the mean time, due to minor break down the other car has run only 35 km along the main road. What would be the distance between two cars at this point?
a) 65 km
b) 75 km
c) 80 km
d) 85 km
= 150 - (25 + 25 + 35)
= 150 - 85
= 65 km
5. Starting from the point X, Jayant walked 15 m towards west. He turned left and walked 20 m. He then turned left and walked 15 m. After this he turned to his right and walked 12 m. How far and in which directions is now Jayant from X?
a) 32 m, South
b) 47 m, East
c) 42 m, North
d) 27 m, South
= 20 + 12
= 32 m in south direction
6. Mohan was facing east. he walked 4 km forward and then after turning to his right walked 3 km.Again he turned to his right and walked 4 km. After this he turned back. Which direction was he facing at that time?
Explanation: Mohan's Movement :
If Mohan turned back from final position he must be facing in the direction of East.
7. A cyclist goes 30 km to North and then turning to East he goes 40 km. Again he turns to his right and goes 20 km. After this he turns to his right and goes 40 km. How far is from his starting point ?
Explanation: Cyclist's Movement :
Distance of the Cyclist from his starting Point O to end point D = 30 - 20 = 10 km
8. A, B, C and D are standing on the four corners of a square field as shown in the figure below:
A starts crossing the field diagonally. After walking half the distance, he turns right, walks some distance and turns left. Which direction is A facing now?
Explanation: Movement of A :
Finally A is facing in the direction of North-West.
9.A direction pole was situated on the crossing. Due to an accident the pole turned in such a manner that the pointer which was showing East, started showing South. One traveler went to wrong direction thinking to be West. In what direction actually he was traveling?
As East becomes South, therefore, the pole has turned through 900 in anticlockwise direction. hence, the West will be North.
10. A man leaves from his office for his home. He walks towards East. After moving a distance of 20 m, he turns South and walks 10 m. Then he walks 35 m towards the west and further 5 m towards the north. He then turns towards east and walks 15 m. What is the straight distance (in metres) between his initial and final position?
Movement of the man is O to E. And The distance between final and initial position is,
EO = AB - DC = 10 - 5 = 5 m