1. She _______ to learn basic German as she will be ______ for Germany next month.
a) likes, reaching
b) wants, leaving
c) intends, visiting
d) tries, touring
2. They ______ a sound infrastructure in order to _________ with the new challenges.
a) want, handle
b) got, mets
c) have , give
d) need, cope
3. As soon as she ______ the branch office, she was asked to _____ to the head-office immediately.
a) came, go
b) went, attend
c) reached, report
d) found, look
4. Please don't _____ when I am talking.
5. The pen ______ mightier than the sword.
a) shall be
c) will be
6. We should _______ opportunities as they arise.
7. There is no culture in the world ........... absolutely pure.
a) That which is
b) That which
c) That is
d) That what is
8. He took up the letter from the table and .......... it to his friend.
a) was reading
b) has been reading
c) has read
9. He led me ......... the green laws to the palatial building.
10. The ship with all its crew ...... lost after the terrible storm.
11. A stone that goes on rolling . . . . . . no moss.
12. The President of the Students' Union played into the hands of some political leaders and . . . . . . the students to go on a strike.
13 . . . . . . . learning does not help the mental growth of a student.
14. Life is to death as pleasure is to . . . . . .
15. The annual . . . . . . of industrial products has risen enormously in recent years.
16. Any system is likely to . . . . . . for . . . . . . of support from the public.
a) survive , lack
b) succeed , reason
c) fail , want
d) finish , failure
17. We must prevent endangered wild animal species from becoming . . . . . . . in order that our future generation may . . . . . . . . the great diversity of animal life.
a) rare , escape
b) outdated , know
c) volatile , notice
d) extinct , enjoy
18. It is . . . . . . for every tax-payer to . . . . . . the tax returns to the Income Tax Department.
a) necessary , lodge
b) binding , pay
c) obligatory , submit
d) possible , remit
19. Somesh . . . . . . . . me coming to his table, he smiled and . . . . . . . me a chair.
a) found , signalled
b) met , sat
c) looked , gave
d) saw , offered
20. To . . . . . . . yourself from . . . . . . . wear warm clothes.
a) prohibit , heat
b) protect , cold
c) save , heat
d) suffer , cold
21. Dowry is no longer permitted by law even in . . . . . . marriage.
22. Kamal's friends had nothing to offer him other than . . . . . . in his grief.
23. In a little publicised deal, Pepsi Cola has . . . . . . the entire soft drink market in Afghanistan.
24. Inspite of our best efforts, we failed to . . . . . . any new facts from him.
25. Family planning is essential for curbing the rapid . . . . . . . in population.
26. His standard of living has . . . . . . since his son joined service.
27. The doctor . . . . . . . the patient from taking certain medicines.
28. The news of the secret deal soon . . . . . . despite official silence.
c) leaked out
29. Not only did she condemn vice, she almost equally despised the . . . . . . acceptance of an advantage.
30. There was no . . . . . . in the railway compartment for additional passengers.